Monday, May 26, 2008

http://www.keralanext.com/news/?id=134261383
BHUBANESWAR: The death of an 11-year-old giraffe while it was being transported to Nandankanan zoo near here is being probed but the Alipore zoo in Kolkata has doubts about whether it died due to electrocution.
The giraffe 'Sundar' was reportedly electrocuted on Friday night when its enck struck an overhead power cable near Bagnan in Howrah district of West Bengal.
However, Alipur zoo authorities from where the animal was being brought here, have expressed surprise about electrocution being stated as the cause of death.

Zoo director Subir Chowdhury said "the hapless animal was ultimately brought back to Alipore but it was too late as 20 precious hours had passed by".
He said "if it had indeed been electrocuted, it would not have survived for 20 hours". Nandankanan zoo director A K Pattanaik said that he would inquire from Alipore zoo authorities in Kolkata about the manner of the death of the animal.
He said the monkeys and birds had reached Alipore and the giraffe was supposed to reach Nandankanan on Saturday or Sunday.
A four-member team including a veterinary surgeon of Nandankanan had left Kolkata on Thursday for Bhubaneswar but on the way the tragedy occurred at Bagnan.
The giraffe lay in an unconscious state after hitting the electric cable and the accompanying surgeon tried hard to keep it alive.
The team members contacted the Nandankanan director who in turn contacted Alipore.

No comments: